Biography and Research Interests
- Associate Professor, Instituto Superior Técnico (Portugal), 2018-present
- Researcher, Instituto Superior Técnico (Portugal), 2017
- Royal Society University Research Fellow, Imperial College London (UK), 2009-2017
- Invited Professor, University of Nice-Sophia Antipolis (France), 2012
- Post-Doc Associate Researcher, Imperial College London (UK), 2007-2009
- Visiting Scientist, NASA Goddard (USA), 2005-2006
- PhD, Astrobiology, Leiden University (The Netherlands), 2003-2007
- Graduate Researcher,
Instituto Superior Técnico (Portugal), 2002
- 5-years Undergraduate Degree (Licenciatura), Chemistry, Instituto Superior Técnico (Portugal), 1997-2002
Zita Martins was
appointed Officer of the Order of Saint James of the Sword (Oficial da Ordem Militar de Sant'Iago da Espada, OSE) by the President of Portugal
for exceptional and outstanding merits in science. This is the Portuguese
equivalent of an OBE.
The Order Militar de Sant'Iago da Espada is one of the oldest Military orders in Portugal (was founded in 1172).
Official photos of Zita Martins being awarded the collar of the Order of Saint James of the Sword by the President of Portugal [1, 2]. Photos credit - Página Oficial da Presidência da República Portuguesa.
The Commemorative ceremony for the bestowal of the decorations on the media:
- Prebiotic chemistry
- Organic matter in meteorites, comets and asteroids
of signatures of extraterrestrial life in space missions.
Participation in space missions
2019-present Team Member of the Comet Interceptor space mission (ESA)
2018-present Team Member of the Portuguese Consortium of the ARIEL space mission (ESA)
2018-present Team Member of the "Organic macromolecules" sub-team of the Japanese space mission Hayabusa2 (JAXA)
2015-present Co-I of the EXOcube space mission. Selected by ESA for the definition phase.
of the Akon Europa Moon penetrator space mission concept.
2016-2017 Member of the core team of the Joint Europa Mission (JEM) space mission concept.
of the Astrobiology Working Group of the MarcoPolo-R space mission.
The asteroid sample return mission was shortlisted for ESA's Cosmic Vision program (M3).
2010-present Co-I of the OREOcube space mission. In the implementation phase for installation on the ISS.
2007-2009 Post-Doc responsible for developing detection
methods of organic compounds for the Urey instrument,
which was then short-listed to fly on the ExoMars mission.
Full list of publications available at:
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.pt/citations?user=X_iJLx0AAAAJ&hl=en
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/H-4860-2015
Scopus Author ID: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57202980152
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5420-1081