INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING EXAMS
- Instructions v12/06/2020, Update Instructions v20/06/2020
- Open question experiment test
- Open question experiment 1
EXAM 2 - TIMELINE AND OPEN QUESTIONS
EXAM 1 - ALLOCATION AND OPEN QUESTIONS
WEEK BIBLIOGRAPHYWeek 1
- General information: lecturers, planning, evaluation, bibliography (version before 16032020)
- General information: lecturers, planning, evaluation, bibliography (new version after 16032020)
- Detailed evaluation rules (version before 16032020)
- Detailed evaluation rules (version after 6032020)
- Instructions regarding teaching through videoconferencing and Kahoot
- Week 1 slides
- Week 2 slides
- Week 3 slides
- Week 5a slides VIDEO (for students' use only)
- Week 5b (Prof. Rogério Gaspar)
- Week 6a (Prof. António Vaz Carneiro) VIDEO (for students' use only)
- Week 6b VIDEO (for students' use only)
- Week 7 and week 8a slides
- Week 7 VIDEO 02/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 7 VIDEO 03/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 8b slides
- Week 8 VIDEO 16/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 8 VIDEO 17/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 9, 10 slides
- Week 9 VIDEO 23/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 9 VIDEO 24/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 10 VIDEO 30/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 11 slides
- Week 11 VIDEO 07/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 11 VIDEO 08/04/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 12a slides
- Week 12 VIDEO 14/05/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 12b slides
- Week 12 VIDEO 15/05/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 13
- Week 13 VIDEO 21/05/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 13 VIDEO 22/05/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 14a slides slides with exercises
- Week 14a VIDEO 28/05/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 14b slides
- Week 14b VIDEO 29/05/2020 (for students' use only)
- Week 1 course presentation and ethical challenges
- Week 2 (see lab tutorial)
- Week 3 (discussion class with Prof. Rui Portugal)
- Week 5 video with exercises from Prof. Rui Portugal PPT version
- Week 6 data analysis Bullet points of resolution
- Week 7, 8 exercises on economic evaluation Topics for solutions
- Week 9 (see lab tutorial)
- Week 10 (Holiday)
- Week 11-13 exercises on resource allocation and decision analysis supporting resolution file
- Week 14 exercises on productivity supporting resolution file
- Week 2: Health databases tutorial
- Week 9 Tutorial Data Analytics in Excel - Pivot tables MS_Excel_Pivot_Tutorial.xls
WEEK BIBLIOGRAPHYWeek 1
T. and Gould, M., 2002. Rules of thumb for writing research articles, 1-9
- OECD (2019) OECD Health at a Glance 2019 report
der Zee, J., Kroneman, M.W. (2007) Bismarck or Beveridge: a beauty contest between
dinosaurs. BMC Health Serv Res 7, 94
- Watts, J.J., Segal, L. (2009) Market failure, policy failure and other distortions in chronic disease markets, BMC Health Services Research 2009, 9:102.
- Helderman, J.-K., Bevan, G., France, G. (2012) The rise of the regulatory state in health care: a comparative analysis of The Netherlands, England and Italy, Health Economics, Policy and Law, 7 (1), 103-124.
- Chapter 1 from Mossialos and Dixon in the book edited by Mossialos et al. (2002) Funding health care: Options for Europe, European Observatory on Health Care Systems.
- Langenbrunner, J.C., O'Duagherty, S., Cashin, C.S. (2009) Designing and Implementing Health Care Provider Payment Systems: How-to Manuals, World Bank and the United States Agency for International Development.
- Murray, C.J., Frenk J. (2000) A framework for assessing the performance of health systems, Bull World Health Organ, 78(6):717-31.
- HiT Portugal
- HiT France
- HiT Spain
- HiT Austria
- Chapter 2 from Busse, R., Geissler, A., Quentin, W., Wiley, M. (eds.) (2011) Diagnosis-Related Groups in Europe: Moving towards transparency, efficiency and quality in hospitals, Maidenhead: Open University Press and WHO Regional Office for Europe.
- DRG coding example
- Health Policy Brief: Pay-for-Performance, Health Affairs, October 11, 2012
A. (2013) Crash Course Evidence-Based Medicine: Reading and Writing Medical
Papers, 1e Paperback.
E. J., et al. (2020). "Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the
Time of Covid-19." New
England Journal of Medicine.
- World Health Organization (2011) Methodological approaches for cost?effectiveness and cost?utility analysis of injury prevention measures, World Health Organization.
- Dronavalli M, Thompson SC (2015) A systematic review of measurement tools of health and well-being for evaluating community-based interventions, J Epidemiol Community Health 2015;69:805-815.
- Whitehead SJ, Ali S (2010) Health outcomes in economic evaluation: the QALY and utilities. Br Med Bull, 96: 5-21.
- Ferreira, L.N., Ferreira, P.L., Pereira, L.N. et al. (2014) The valuation of the EQ-5D in Portugal. Qual Life Res 23, 413?423.
- Paolo Surico and Andrea Galeotti (2020) Presentation: The economics of pandemics
- CADTH (2017) Guidelines for the economic evaluation of health technologies: Canada, CADTH, 4th Edition, Ottawa, Canada.
- Drummond, M., Griffin, A., Tarricone, R. (2009) Economic Evaluation for Devices and Drugs?Same or Different?, Value in Health, 12(4) 402-404.
- Astolfi, R., L. Lorenzoni and J. Oderkirk (2012), A Comparative Analysis of Health Forecasting Methods, OECD Health Working Papers, No. 59, OECD Publishing.
- Moreira, F.R. (2003) Linear programming applied to healthcare problems, Einstein, 1, 105-109.
- Cardoso, T., Oliveira, M.D., Barbosa-Póvoa, A., Nickel, S. (2016) Moving towards an equitable long-term care network: A multi-objective and multi-period planning approach, Omega: The International Journal of Management Science, 58, 69?85.
- Mestre A., Oliveira, M.D., Barbosa-Póvoa, A. (2012) Organizing Hospitals into Networks: A Hierarchical and Multiservice Model to Define Location, Supply and Referrals in Planned Hospital Systems. OR Spectrum, 34(2), 319-348.
- Arnolds, I. V., & Nickel, S. (2013). Multi-period layout planning for hospital wards. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 47(3), 220?237.
- Marques, I., Captivo, M.E., Pato, M.V. (2012) An integer programming approach to elective surgery scheduling, OR Spectrum, 34(2), 407-427.
M.D., Rodrigues, T., Bana e Costa, C.A., Sá, A.B. (2012) Prioritizing Health
Care Interventions: A Multicriteria Resource Allocation Model to Inform the
Choice of Community Care Programmes. In E. Tanfani and A. Testi (Editors)
Advanced Decision Making Methods applied to Health Care. Springer. Pg. 141-154.
- Sanchez, L.A. (2008) Pharmacoeconomics: Principles, Methods, and Applications, in DiPiro et al. (Ed.) Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 8e, McGraw-Hill.
et al. (2008) Performance measurement for health system improvement: experiences,
challenges and prospects, World Health Organization.
- Toolkit and info from: http://www.phf.org/focusareas/performancemanagement/toolkit/Pages/Performance_Management_Toolkit.aspx
- Jones, D., Mitchell, A., Lean Enterprise Academy UK
(2006) Lean Thinking for the NHS, NHS Confederation, UK.
- Andersen, H., Røvik, K.A., Ingebrigtsen, T. (2014)
Lean thinking in hospitals: is there a cure for the absence of evidence? A
systematic review of reviews, BMJ Open, doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003873
- Payne, J. M., et al. (2011) Researchers' experience with project management in health and medical research: Results from a post-project review, BMC Public Health, 11(1): 1-11
- Van Oostrum J.M., Van Houdenhoven M., Hurink J.L., Hans E.W., Wullink G., Kazemier G. (2008). A Master Surgical Scheduling approach for cyclic scheduling in operating room departments, OR Spectrum, 30(2), 355-374
- Indicative example of exam 1 solutions of multiple choice questions
- Indicative example of exam 2 solutions of multiple choice questions
- Information about the individual essay 09/04/2020
- Evaluation of groupwork 1
- Groupwork 2 handout medical emergency deployments.xlsx
- Exam 1 22/06/2020 solutions of multiple choice questions
- Evaluation of Short Essay
- Evaluation of Groupwork 2
- Evaluation of participation component
- Evaluation after Exam 1
- Exam 2 10/07/2020 solutions of multiple choice questions
- Evaluation after Exam 2